What is included in a clinic?
Introductory One Day Seminar
A one day seminar introducing the principles and techniques of effective low stress livestock handling includes:
- The definition and benefits of a manageable herd
- Understanding how our natural instincts can be counterproductive when working with animals
- How to think like a cow-understanding why cows do what they do
- The building blocks for training your herd to be manageable
- The basic skills of good handling
- Where, when and how to pressure the flight zone of a herd or animal
- Understanding the dynamics of herding
- Demonstrations through video and cattle handling
COST $175 per person. GST will be added where applicable. Minimum 30 people required.
Intensive Two Day Cattle Handling Clinic
This two day clinic includes the material discussed in the Introductory Seminar plus:
- Training your herd to drive
- Good herd movement
- Gaining control of herd direction
- Controlling herd speed
- Coordinating people for a successful move
- Moving livestock through gates and dealing with obstacles
- Processing and loading livestock
- Sorting livestock
The Clinic dedicates 0.5 days to classroom work and 1.5 days to cattle handling in both pasture and corral settings. It offers each hands-on participant the opportunity to work livestock with individualized instruction.
COST $350.00 CDN per hands-on participant, $175 for observers. GST will be added where applicable. Minimum 12 hands-on participants (maximum 12) and 14 observers (maximum 20) required.
Advanced Cattle Handling Clinic
The Advanced Clinic is a two day 16 hour program covering cattle handling activities with a higher degree of difficulty. The entire clinic is hands-on with participants working cattle on pasture and in feedlot pens. It will allow participants to further develop their skills in working with cattle in a safer and more effective manner. The following exercises will be presented:
- Going through the process of training individual animals to turn and move away in a calm and relaxed manner
- Training a herd to turn and move away in a calm and relaxed manner
- Training the herd to accept a rider passing them while they continue moving
- Training the herd to turn left or right in a controlled responsive manner
- Training a herd to speed up or slow down in a controlled responsive manner
- Training the herd to stop in a controlled responsive manner
Participants must have taken the Intensive Two Day Cattle Handling Clinic, and had some experience applying the principles, before registering for the Advanced Clinic.
COST $500.00 CDN per hands-on participant, no observers. GST will be added where applicable. 10 participants required.
Custom Cattle Handling Clinics
Please contact us if you are interested in customizing a clinic for your particular needs.